ﻣﻮﻗﻊ ﺻﺪﻱ اﻟﺒﻠﺪ

Supervisor
Elham AbolFateh

World

Bomb attack on busy market kills 30 people in north-east Nigeria

Monday 17/June/2019 - 07:27 PM
Sada El Balad
Edited by Ahmed Moamar
Thirty people were killed when three people blew themselves up in a busy market in north-east Nigeria، which has seen a recent increase in attacks by militant groups، as the Guardian said.

Many were watching the evening news and waiting for the football to come on when the bombs went off in the village just outside Konduga، Borno state، wounding a further 42 people.

A military source said the bombers detonated their devices “at the viewing centre opposite a clinic in Mandarari ward at about 9.15pm”. He added: “Another female bomber whose IED [improvised explosive device] failed to detonate was apprehended and handed over to the Nigerian army.”

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack، but officials of a civilian vigilante group suspect it was the work of the faction of Boko Haram led by Abubakar Shekau.


The head of Borno’s emergency agency، Usman Kachala، said the military closed the road to the site of the attack so rescue workers could not reach survivors for 12 hours.

“When me and my team arrived in Konduga early this morning، the military prevented us from gaining access to the community to assist the victims،” Kachala said. “They told us they were given orders from above not to open the road until 9am.”

As a result the death toll، which had been 17، rose to 30، he said.

Viewing centres with big screens are where people gather to watch football and relax، particularly in villages like Mandarari، which hosts people who fled Boko Haram and was the target of a very similar attack in 2017.

Read also

Comments

ads

Poll

What do you think about our new design?

What do you think about our new design?
ads