ﻣﻮﻗﻊ ﺻﺪﻱ اﻟﺒﻠﺪ

Supervisor
Elham AbolFateh

Middle East

Death toll from Sudan protest camp rises to more than 30: protest-linked doctors association

Monday 03/June/2019 - 05:34 PM
Sada El Balad
Edited by: Mohamed Emad

The number of people killed in the dispersal of a protest camp in the center of the Sudanese capital Khartoum on Monday rose to more than 30، an opposition-linked doctors’ committee said، according to Reuters.

The committee said the number was likely to rise as many casualties are still unaccounted for.

Footage shared on social media and verified by Reuters showed chaotic scenes of people fleeing through streets as sustained bursts of gunfire crackled in the air during violence that drew rapid Western and African censure.

Witnesses said a sit-in next to the Defense Ministry، the focal point of anti-government protests that started in December، had been cleared. Protesters poured onto streets elsewhere in Khartoum and beyond in response، setting up barricades and roadblocks with rocks and burning tires.

The main protest group accused the ruling military council of perpetrating “a massacre” as it broke up the camp.

The Transitional Military Council (TMC) denied that، with a spokesman، Lieutenant General Shams El Din Kabbashi، telling Reuters security forces were pursuing “unruly elements” who had fled to the protest site and caused chaos.

“The Transitional Military Council regrets the way the situation unfolded، reaffirming its full commitment to the... safety of the citizens and renews its call for negotiations as soon as possible،” it said in a statement.

Monday’s violence is likely to deal a blow to hopes for a restart to stalled talks and a negotiated settlement over who should govern in a transitional period after Bashir’s overthrow.

Read also

Comments

ads

Poll

What do you think about our new design?

What do you think about our new design?
ads