An iPhone X user has been left in shock after his device unexpectedly overheated and began releasing smoke، daily mail reported.
Rahel Mohamad، a Washington resident، reported the issue to Apple on Twitter and included several photos of the scorched smartphone.
Mohamad said the iPhone X 'got hot and exploded' after he installed iOS 12.1 on the device.
'This year early January I bought the iPhone and have been using it normally،' Mohamad told Gadgets 360.
As the iPhone installed a software update، Mohamad connected it to a charger.
Mohamad was using what appears to be the 30 watt USB-C power adapter and lightning cable manufactured by Apple.
He unplugged the phone from the charger and attempted to pick it up، but it was 'very hot،' forcing him to drop it immediately.
Not long after، the iPhone X began to emit smoke.
'Dark grey smoke started coming from the phone،' he told Gadgets 360.
'The update was completed and as soon as the phone turned on it started to smoke and caught fire.'
Several photos shared on Twitter show the damage sustained by the iPhone X.
There appears to be shattered glass on the back panel of the phone، as well as scorched marks on the front display.
Mohamad has since reported the issue to Apple، which requested he send the iPhone in for closer inspection.
The firm also indicated that there didn't seem to be widespread overheating issue with the iPhone X.
'That's definitely not expected behavior،' Apple's Support division tweeted. 'DM us، so we can look into this with you.'
Some have speculated that the issue could be a result of flaw in the iPhone's lithium battery.
There have been no previous reports of overheating batteries in the iPhone X، but other models have had battery issues.
Seven people received medical attention after an iPhone 6S battery overheated in an Apple Store in Zurich، Switzerland earlier this year، while an iPhone 7 Plus was reported to have exploded after it was removed from the charger.
WHY BATTERIES CAN EXPLODE When a battery is charged or drained، ions cross through the electrolyte from one electrode to the other.
Commonly used liquid electrolytes can be flammable، and they're also prone to forming dendrites - thin، finger-like protrusions of metal that build up from one electrode and، if they reach all the way across to the other electrode، can create a short-circuit that can damage the battery.
There's a few different reasons why batteries can explode، including: -Overcharging -Overheating -Physical damage -Faulty manufacturing
These can all result in an electrical short - and this is what happened to Samsung's Galaxy 7.